We were so blessed to have Kaitlyn living with us from the middle of October through the middle of March. It will be completely impossible to recount all of the fun times. I can say, though, that Kaitlyn certainly became part of the family. I called her 2nd mom because she knew exactly what Lucia needed at any moment and could just complete whatever I was doing or do it all together. In the mornings, Lucia would wait for Kaitlyn to come down the stairs and, when she did, she most often gave her a huge smile. It was so good to have the help but it was so much more beneficial than just baby help. I got to spend quality time with my sister while she worked on the release of her film. I am also grateful that Kaitlyn was able to spend so much time with Lucia. To date, she has lived with Lucia for half of her life!
Having Kaitlyn so close also spurred my growing interest in human rights and social justice around the world. Kaitlyn's focus has been on child trafficking in Benin, Africa. There are so many issues that need our attention. Since you are already reading, I'll give you a few shocking statistics and then I'll leave you with some Kaitlyn and family pictures.
1. 40% of the world lives on less than $2 per day. That is about 2.7 billion people!
2. There are an estimated 27 million men, women, and children enslaved around the world. Most are women and children.
3. 2 million girls disappear annually from the globe because of gender discrimination
4. More girls have been killed in the last 50 years (because they are girls) than all of the men killed in all the battles of the twentieth century.
There are so many other horrifying statistics out there that it is staggering. I guess what I have learned from Kaitlyn is that one person can make a difference. You can work to help people a world away and it does matter. Anyway, for those interested in oppression and human rights, I would suggest reading "Half the Sky- turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide". I am only a quarter of the way into it, but it has been very good so far. Another resource that a friend shared with me is http://seattleagainstslavery.org/default.aspx. Lots of things to check out.
Okay, on to happy pictures of Kaitlyn. These pictures were all taken between January and March.
Kaitlyn spent a lot of time playing with Lucia and Lucia loved it! Here they are cycling around the house on Kaitlyn's last day.

One of the hundred bottles that Kaitlyn gave Lucia during her stay. I love that Lucy just decided to lounge for this bottle.

Of course, swinging down at the waterfront in Mukilteo. We had a few glorious days walking on the beach, watching the ferry, swimming, and pointing out dogs to Lu. Oh how I wish Kaitlyn were going to be here to enjoy the summer with me!

Pat took a photo trip to Death Valley one weekend and Kaitlyn and I had a lot of fun working on Unseen Stories financial documents, making a tablecloth for Lucia's birthday, and eating good Indian food. This was a night with Sangria and fabric measuring.

Kaitlyn got the job of smashing all of the spices into a fine powder. She did a lovely job! It was so much fun to cook with her and hang out. Ah, this is making me miss by sister friend!

Funny faces...one intentional...one just naturally pudgy and funny. Um, check out the mullet on that baby!

I am thankful that Kaitlyn was able to catch the first signs of spring before she left. There were a few nice days that made it up to 60 degrees and the cherry trees were in full bloom. I love the Northwest in spring!

At the park on one of those nice days with Lucia

Kaitlyn was awesome and babysat Lucia on Pat's birthday so that we could have the day together. Here the two are on their outing to Mukilteo. Lucia got her first taste of ice cream with Aunt Kaitlyn. Such a good Aunt!

And Kaitlyn let her play in the sand

The wall of post-it notes. Kaitlyn had a few things to get done for Unseen Stories. What better way to motivate yourself/drive yourself crazy than to post your work plan on your bedroom walls?

Officially the first nice day of spring and we hit Mukilteo. It was great fun.

Kaitlyn and I LOVE Ethiopian food. We were able to hit the local spot on Capitol Hill but this picture is from our trip to Portland. Kaitlyn found a good spot there for Ethiopian. I love that stuff. Anyway, the item that Kaitlyn is holding is Injera or, as Pat calls it, sour pancake. It is shaped like Benin, thus the need for a picture.

Messing around with Lu

A night out for Kaitlyn and I at a friend's birthday party.
No comments:
Post a Comment