Friday, September 17, 2010

Family Vacation

Wow, it has been a month since I have posted anything and I have a lot to talk about. I'll start with our family vacation though and then put up some smaller posts from there. Lucia is growing so fast and she is most definitely a hilarious toddler at this point. I love it. She does the funniest little things from "this little piggy" on her own toes to saying "please" and "thank you" in the tinniest voice ever. She is a little sweetie!

So, Pat, Lucia and I headed to California back on August 28th. Lucia did great on the flight down. Thankfully it is a very short flight though because she didn't have her own seat this time around. We had play dough, stickers, a coloring book with crayons, and a stack of other toys to keep her entertained. We had a 6am flight, so the poor baby had to get up at 3am. By the time we got into our rental car around 9:30am, she fell asleep before we even made it onto the freeway. Here she is still holding her half eaten fruit stick.

Our first stop was in San Francisco where we visited and stayed with Craig and Renee! It was so great to be able to see them. We spent a lot of the two days walking around seeing the place. It was beautiful both days and classically windy. We went to 4 different parks at least and Lucy loved it. She is usually so shy around anyone but Pat and I, but she completely LOVED Craig and Renee. It was the funniest thing to watch. She just kept saying Craig's name over and over again. She also loved their cats...poor cats...they were not too excited about the little lady. It was so nice for Pat and I to be able to spend uninterrupted time together too. There is nothing like being able to hang out outside of the house where you don't have to worry about all of the errands and chores that you should be doing.
Craig and Lu in a tree at a park.
Another park playing with Dad. She loved the swing and the slide.
Aunt Renee and Lu at the same park (in the mission district).
Hum...okay, it was definitely more than 4 parks now that I see more pictures. This was at the Palace of Fine Arts. Lu loved these plants.
After our two days in San Francisco, we hit the road and drove down the coast to the Santa Cruz area. We stayed with on of Pat's friend's dad. It was so sweet of them to let us crash at their house. They have a beautiful house that is right across the street from the beach. Honestly, I could have spent weeks in that place. The house was great, the beaches were beautiful, and there were so many things to see and do. The CA coast in this area is stunning. It is beautiful at every turn. It looks like some magical land. I love it. So, here is Lu at the beach on our first day in Santa Cruz. It is the Pacific Ocean people, so it was still cool thus the lack of a bathing suit.

The first full day in Santa Cruz, we grabbed pastries at this awesome shop, headed south along the coast and stopped at one remote beach (below), then went to Point Lobos Park, and then back up to Carmel for a quick dinner.

hiking back up to the car from the beach.
California coast between Santa Cruz and Carmel. Pat stopped to take pictures and I just stood there taking in the beauty and sun (and periodically feeding Lu fish crackers to keep her satisfied).
Here are two pictures from Point Lobos that don't do it justice at all! We were only there for an hour or so but I could have spent all day there easily. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Everything you look at is just stunning and the light was beautiful not to mention the sound of waves crashing against the rocks. Lucy, on the other hand, was not nearly as impressed. She was pretty darn fussy by the time we made it here but we forced her to power through. In the end, it worked out well and she was making seal sounds out of her little baby head.

From one of the points at Point Lobos. Can you tell how trilled Lu was by this time?
Out...with all of her friends to prop up her head
Next we headed up to Napa for just one night. It was a hilariously short trip but we did make it to one winery. We didn't do tasting given our 2 foot friend but we did have wine, cheese, and bread on their lawn.
Me with my buddy!
Lucy stopping to smell the roses. I think that the winery was one of Lucia's favorite spots. She was able to run free and run she did!
After Napa, we drove out to the coast and then headed north on what seemed like mountain roads. I don't know that I have ever driven on something so windy and small. It was crazy and apparently this section is called the Lost Coast. There is hardly anything there. You drive for miles and miles without passing anything and then hit a "town" of 300 or 400 people. It is beautiful though. Here is the view from our hotel in Gualala.
Lucy made quick friends with the dusty path. Plopped herself right down in the dust and started smearing it all over her face. It was so cute!
A Lucia sized seat
The beach outside of the hotel in Gualala was so beautiful. The sun was shining the first day there and our time at the beach that day could not have been better. I love just standing and watching the waves roll in. Lu, of course, loved the sand. She played so quietly with her "boons" (translation: spoons) which were actually plastic shovels from her beach play set. She loves any kind of spoon. She sat for at least an hour just putting all of the shovels into her bucket and then taking them back out again. This afternoon at the beach felt magical. It was so peaceful. I didn't want it to end.


The next day was fairly foggy, so we heading out on a bit of a drive up the coast. Pat stopped to take some pictures and Lucy fell in love with these horses. She kept saying "Neigh, down, dada". She was trying to convince me to put her down so that she could run across the road to Dada who was closer to the horses.
The trip was so great. You can't beat being out with family. I love our little family with Lucia. She adds so much joy. Pat and I had so much fun laughing at all of the funny and crazy things she did.

No comments: